June 10, 2010

A royal flush!

I was talking to Sharon today and realized I should post an update on the potty mouth situation in our house. First of all thanks for all the advice and ideas, it's nice to know we're not alone in these things huh!

Ok so the other morning we were reading scriptures and we told Porter to say "For behold..." and he pipes up with "For poop..." (Yes, I'm serious, it's been brilliant.) Neil stands up and says, "that's it, you're getting soap in your mouth!" So he got a tiny bit of liquid hand soap on his finger, opened Porter's mouth and wiped it all over his tongue. We explained to Porter that he is saying dirty words and that when he says dirty words he gets soap in his mouth to clean them out. We gave him a drink and told him to not say those words anymore.

He didn't use any toilet talk for the rest of the day and then yesterday he was saying something, I don't remember what but he stopped himself very abruptly at "P-....." and then gave me a cheeky grin. I smiled and said, "what were you going to say?" and he laughed, "I was going to say poop!" I told him we don't say those words and he agreed cause he didn't want soap in his mouth. He didn't say anything else for the rest of the day and again today not a dirty word has left his tongue.

I guess we should have gone straight to the soap method first but I'm glad we found something that worked!

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! Marshall hasn't started with the potty talk yet...but I will have to remember washing the mouth out with soap when he does!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark and I laughed so hard reading this! I'm so glad that you can go through all of this stuff first so I can just do what you do! Love u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! What a kid. I'm glad you found something that worked! I love that kid... I wish I could have seen that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 11, 2010

    Great idea, you guys--why didn't I think of that? Hope you can come up with good ideas like that for everything he and Rigby will get up to. You are awsome parents!
    mom

    By the way, Sharon set me up with a google account, but I can't remember it (who is getting old!!) so I'll always be "anonymous" but I think you could guess anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 11, 2010

    Great idea, you guys--why didn't I think of that? Hope you can come up with good ideas like that for everything he and Rigby will get up to. You are awsome parents!
    mom

    By the way, Sharon set me up with a google account, but I can't remember it (who is getting old!!) so I'll always be "anonymous" but I think you could guess anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soap really is a great idea! We use it in our house too. What a great invention...definitely by a mom!

    ReplyDelete

Straight up now tell me...