December 13, 2010

Share A Meal Monday

This is a family favorite recipe. The story behind it is kinda funny actually - apparently long ago my parents went to some friend's house for dinner. The friends made this meal and did not like it at all. My mom and dad loved it and have been making it for special occasions ever since. I think I'll be requesting it for my birthday this year (which is coming up on the 30th, friends.......) It is a family favorite although my dear husband bashfully informed me a year or two ago that he doesn't particularly love it. I was aghast! How could he? So keep in mind, it's not something for everyone but the Todd's love it! Give it a try, I'd like to know what you think.

Orange Tarragon Chicken

2 Tbsp oil or margarine
chicken parts (or cut up breasts)
1 onion chopped
1/2 can frozen orange juice
1 chicken oxo cube
1 Tbsp dried tarragon
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup hot water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup sour cream

Brown chicken in oil or margarine. Remove and cook onion. Dissolve chicken cube in hot water. Stir OJ, chicken stock and tarragon with cooked onion. Bring to a boil and add chicken. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish, cover and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours, basting occasionally in orange sauce. Remove chicken from sauce and place in serving dish. Skim off fat from sauce. Blend cornstarch and sugar with 2 Tbsp water and add to orange sauce. Bring to boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until thick. Cool slightly and add sour cream. Stir and pour over chicken. Serve with roast potatoes.


2 comments:

  1. I've been such a slacker and haven't had anything to share for the past few weeks...and this week isn't any better...maybe once January comes around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at sour cream. Can't wait to try this!

    Mrs BC
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Straight up now tell me...