I think it was at Christmas time when we first realized that little Rigby put everything and I mean everything in his mouth. Lots of crawling babies do it but it was like as soon as you had one thing pulled out of his face he already had his fist in his mouth stuffing it full of something else. There was no keeping up to him and it became something of a joke. Over the summer while we were frequenting spray parks, parks and paddling pools Rigby began putting things in his mouth other than just an old cheerio from the floor or a paperclip he found on the carpet. It's only gotten worse since then and the list is continually growing. Some have suggested he is lacking in some sort of mineral but no, he is just a curious, busy boy.
Here's the list of non-edible items Rigby has put in his mouth in the last 10 months or so.
In no particular order:
- cigarette butts - and he gnawed on the spongey filter part for quite a while before I realized he had something more in there
- bandaids a plenty
- a bandaid for CORNS, with that little round padded part. (gag!)
- an ear plug (gag again!)
- he chewed up a small Christmas ornament, bit into it... and kept going
- he ate a whole hard boiled egg with the shell still ON
- a Finish dishwasher detergent tab
- straws, popsicle and sucker sticks he finds at the park
- his own poop - twice. Yeah.
- craft paint
- handfuls and fistfuls and more handfuls of sand
- at least 10 foamy Vivint balls, probably more
- and last but not least (and I'm disgusted to even write this) a tampon applicator from the bathroom garbage. HE DID NOT HAVE THIS IN HIS MOUTH, only his hand - but I knew exactly where it was headed.
This list looks like I should be talking about a puppy, not a child! This may be usual to you but Porter was never like this so I can't help but make mention of it. You're probably wondering where I am while all of this is going on, but I told you the little guy is quick! I promise I watch him. Can anyone relate?
We'll keep him anyway.